Monday 11 May 2020

[Mini Reviews] MY BESTIE'S EX (The Rooftop Crew #1) & A ROYAL MISTAKE (The Rooftop Crew #2) by Piper Rayne


MY BESTIE'S EX
(The Rooftop Crew #1)

by Piper Rayne
Release Date:  February 18, 2020

DESCRIPTION

I can’t borrow him.
He’s not a sweater or a skirt.
He’s not even her favorite dress—the lucky one she wears on first dates. The one she probably wore on her first date with him.

In my defense, I didn’t know who he was. To me, he was a cool, calm, confident stranger. He was perfection for the entire hour and a half train ride while the concrete jungle turned into a rolling green landscape.

To an outsider, we probably appeared more friends than hopeful lovers. But my blush came quickly, and his dimples indented with every smile. We definitely shared a spark of what could be.

Too bad I didn’t know who he was before I fell for him, because he can’t be mine.

REVIEW

This was a solid start to Piper Rayne's new Rooftop Crew series, and it's definitely a trope that I haven't seen from them before. I wasn't quite sure what to expect with the whole "bestie's ex" part of the storyline, but I ended up really enjoying the romance!

Ethan and Blanca were wonderful and I absolutely loved them! Their chemistry was fantastic and I loved how the two of them clicked together!!! For the most part I really loved all of their friendships, too—wasn't a huge fan of the "bestie" Sierra, but I really loved everyone else. I was also so happy to see Blanca’s brothers (Dom, Enzo, and Carm) make some appearances in this one, too! It was so great to see them. I do wish we’d seen Blanca’s parents though! I was a bit disappointed with the last couple chapters and epilogue as I felt that they were super rushed. I also wish certain moments mentioned in the last chapter were shown rather than just mentioned—this ties into me wishing we’d seen Mama Mancini. :P I will say that I did read the "bonus" chapters that Piper and Rayne shared in their newsletter and that did give me a bit more satisfaction with this ending!

Overall, this was a really great romance! Awesome chemistry, great banter, and super sexy! Not my fave of Piper and Rayne's books, but still pretty great!

Star Rating: ★★★★



A ROYAL MISTAKE (The Rooftop Crew #2)
by Piper Rayne
Release Date: March 31, 2020

DESCRIPTION

He’s not your average Joe from the corner bar.
He’s the heir to the crown.

I should know, I’ve followed him for years.
Not in a stalkerish way. Magazines and online gossip blogs are fair game when you’re royalty. But I do know every detail about him, down to the brand of boxer briefs he wears.

All my studying of the man who plays a starring role in my dreams pays off when I win a dinner with him. As if that wasn’t enough, he barters a deal with me that has him moving into my spare guest room.

I forgot that fairy tales don’t exist though because just as I’m about to get everything I want, including the prince, I find out there’s someone in Prince Adrian Marx’s life I don’t know—his fiancĂ©e.

REVIEW

While A ROYAL MISTAKE works as a standalone, it's the second book in Piper Rayner's Rooftop Crew series and it follows Sierra who happens to be the "bestie" from the previous book, MY BESTIE'S EX. I have to admit that I wasn't a bit fan of hers in the first book, and she did grow on me a bit while reading this one, but I still didn't particularly love her. I absolutely looooooved her love interest, Adrian, though!

This was the first time that I'd read a romance with a rebellious prince who is going incognito, and I really loved that side of the story! It was so great to see Adrian fit in with Sierra and her friends, and the times where I did genuinely enjoy Sierra were the moments when she allowed herself to share and be vulnerable around Adrian...those moments were heavy, but so sweet, and I loved seeing Adrian step up every time.

Overall, I liked this one, but didn't quite love it. The romance was steamy, and Adrian and Sierra definitely had some intense chemistry that I did really like, but unfortunately I just didn't quite "click" with Sierra. However, if you like rom-coms, and royal romances (think something along the lines of The Prince and Me), then I think you could really enjoy this one!

Star Rating: ★★★



What do you think?

Do MY BESTIE'S EX and A ROYAL MISTAKE sound like books you'd like to read?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are like smiles. Free to give, but precious to receive. Thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment. I treasure every one. Also, check back! You'll probably find a reply. :D