Tuesday 31 January 2012

Review: Everneath (Everneath #1) by Brodi Ashton

Source: Received an ARC from Harper Collins Canada for an honest review.
Challenge: Debut Author Challenge 2012
Publisher: Harper Collins / Balzer and Bray
Release Date: Already released.
Number of Pages: 370 (Hardcover)

Blurb from Goodreads:
Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she's returned- to her old life, her family, her friends- before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever.

She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there's a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back- this time as his queen.

As Nikki's time grows short and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she's forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's...

Learn more and read at excerpt on Harper Collins Canada's webpage for Everneath, HERE.



Everneath is an amazing debut, and it's the start of what will surely be a fantastic trilogy. Told in one point of view, but from alternative points of time, it crafts an addictive story. One where you're desperate to discover what has brought Nikki to the place she's at.

At first, I wasn't really sure about Nikki. She doesn't really have much personality at the beginning of the book...although as you get further into the story this makes a lot more sense, but underneath her stone facade you learn things about her that compel you to keep reading, even if you're not really sure about her just yet. Plus, Nikki happens to have two fabulous boys who revolve around her throughout her story. Cole, the bad boy from the Everneath, and Jack, her ex-boyfriend.

As a narrator, I think that Nikki grows, partially because you get to see her become stronger, and also because you get to see her reasoning for the things she's done. She definitely acted impulsively in her past, but I couldn't help but respect her for the choices she was making. She was trying to do the right thing, and she didn't care if she was the one who suffered as a result of her choice. She took the blame for her poor choices, and I think that shows a lot of strength. I also liked how certain characters had different names for her. Cole called her Nik, while her best friend, Jules, and Jack called her Becks. I think that part appealed to the side of me that's always wanted a cool nickname...and Nikki has a couple, which let's face it, means she must be awesome. :P Also, the more you get to know her, you see that she really is awesome. She has faults, but she recognizes them, and she fights to try and overcome her problems. I also loved her sense of humour. :)

I'm really not sure which boy I prefer after reading Everneath. I definitely love me some Cole. He's addictive, and I have to say that he appealed to me. You don't actually get to see all that much of Jack in the first part of the book, other than from Nikki's memories, so it's pretty easy to be taken in by Cole...and you really don't mind when it happens, as I've said, he's pretty appealing. ;) I can't wait to see how Nikki's story evolves in the following books and I'm excited to see how the boys fit into the story, too.

One of the major things that I loved about Everneath was how Brodi Ashton wove myths into it. I'm always fascinated by stories involving mythology, and Brodi took Greek myths in very interesting ways. :D She didn't just take one myth...no, she interwove several myths and manipulated them to fit her story, plus, her whole "Daughters of Persephone" thing reminded me of the mysterious cult that used to worship Demeter and Persephone. They had initiation ceremonies called Eleusinian Mysteries every year, and I liked being reminded me of that because I thought it was so fascinating when I studied it. :D Anyway, I think that Brodi brings myth into her story in ways that myth-fanatics and newbies-to-myth alike can enjoy. She brings a fresh perspective, and reworks them in ways where there is definite plausibility...and I don't know about anyone else, but I love the possibility of mythology being real....at least most myths. :P

I'd recommend Everneath to pretty much everyone. If you like paranormal stories with a twinge of mystery, then you'll love it. If you like mythology, you'll love it...and if you love any story involving some hot boys, well then, yes, you will also love it. :) Everneath is a captivating story with a heroine who faces a daunting future, but is still determined to do the right thing, and not give it. I loved this story, and as a narrator, Nikki really won me over. :)

Have you read Everneath yet?
Are you planning on reading it?
Any thoughts on Cole or Jack?

Purchase Links:
Book Depository: UK / US
Amazon: UK / US / Canada
Barnes and Noble

Happy Reading!!!

♪♫ Ambur

2 comments:

  1. I haven't gotten around to this one but hope to soon.
    A book that you can recommend to pretty much everyone? Now that is really saying something! Thanks for the great review.
    -FABR Steph@FiveAlarmBookReviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well...some boys might not like it. My brother for example, but he likes video games. :P I hope if you read it soon that you like it. Thank you, and you're welcome. Happy Reading, Steph!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like smiles. Free to give, but precious to receive. Thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment. I treasure every one. Also, check back! You'll probably find a reply. :D