Tuesday 20 September 2011

Review: In the Forests of the Night (Goblin Wars #2) by Kersten Hamilton

 Source: Received an ARC copy from Thomas Allen and Sons for an honest review.
Publisher: Clarion
Number of Pages: 288 (Hardcover)
Release Date: November 22, 2011
(Goodreads Link.)


Blurb from Goodreads:

Teagan, Finn, and Aiden have made it out of Mag Mell alive, but the Dark Man's forces are hot on their heels. Back in Chicago, Tea’s goblin cousins show up at her school, sure she will come back to Mag Mell, as goblin blood is never passive once awoken. Soon she will belong to Fear Doirich and join them. In the meantime, they are happy to entertain themselves by trying to seduce, kidnap, or kill Tea’s family and friends.

Teagan knows she doesn’t have much time left, and she refuses to leave Finn or her family to be tortured and killed. A wild Stormrider, born to rule and reign, is growing stronger inside her. But as long as she can hold on, she’s still Teagan Wylltson, who plans to be a veterinarian and who heals the sick and hurting. The disease that’s destroying her—that’s destroying them all—has a name: Fear Doirich.

And Teagan Wylltson is not going to let him win.




To say that I was excited for In the Forests of the Night is a severe understatement...I have been anxiously awaiting this book since the moment I finished...no, maybe the moment I started Tyger Tyger...yup, I love this series that much. As soon as I start one I'm anxious for more...and more. I've got a pretty big To-read pile, so I haven't taken much time to reread a story in a while, but I made an exception for this series. I didn't want to start In the Forests of the Night without remembering all of Tyger Tyger, so I reread it beforehand...which was an excellent idea, not only did it help me remember, but it also gave me a double dose of Finn MacCumhail, that sexy beast, his words not mine...although I may have called him something similar to that in my head once or twice. ;)
 
Moving on from how much I love Finn...okay, I'm totally lying, there will be plenty more gushing about Finn in this review...anyways. In the Forests of the Night takes off immediately after Tyger Tyger, the last few pages of Tyger Tyger are actually the same as the Prologue of In the Forests of the Night, which is awesome if you choose not to the first book...plus those few pages are so freaking adorable, and awesome! I can't even reread them without smiling a gigantic grin and if I'm in the right mood, tearing up.

Teagan was fantastic in this one! I loved her in the first book, but she's really starting to grow into herself, and discover what she's capable of in In the Forests of the Night. She's starting to accept what she's found out about herself, even if she doesn't like it, and although she's still not happy with it, she knows that there's nothing she can do to about it all. And in some other big news Cindy the Chimp gets a boyfriend! :D Sorry if I spoiled that for anyone, but you will love that part, seriously it's so cute! :D If you can't tell, I'm also one of those people that see a puppy on TV and starts in on the babytalk...it's really hard to not do, seriously, they're just so cute, like Cindy and her boyfriend! :D

Since I've already told you about Cindy, I'm going to talk about the action in this one. There's lots of running. That is all. Okay, that's not all, but that's all I'm going to tell you so that you aren't completely spoiled by this review. :P There are also lots of goblins, and you get to see several different kinds. You also learn more folklore about the first Finn MacCumhail, and more of the Travellers' history. I absolutely loved learning about the history, and the former MacCumhail, and pretty much everything about this book. Honestly, In the Forests of the Night completely blew all of my expectations for Tyger Tyger's sequel out of the water. It was so much more than I expected, and I probably couldn't have loved it more than I already did. There was some epic use of foreshadowing in this one, and throughout the story I was kept on my toes, trying to figure out what would happen next.

In the Forests of the Night was an amazing sequel, and I think all fans of Tyger Tyger will be thrilled when they read it. Just as she did with Tyger Tyger, Kersten Hamilton has once again woven a wondrous story that draws you in right from the first page. The characters: Aidan, Teagan, Finn (♥♥♥) to name a few, welcome you back into their world as if you'd never left, and you'll be spellbound until the very last page. I, for one, am already anxiously...and I mean ANXIOUSLY, awaiting the next book!

Have you started the Goblin Wars series yet?
And if you haven't, why not?

Happy Reading!!!

♪♫ Ambur

3 comments:

  1. I like to read these kinds of thrilling and interesting stories they are very suspenseful and thrilling, thanks for sharing this useful blog post with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. comment on your love fest! Only I'm not reading the post cause I don't want to spoil book 1. but i figured it deserved a non-spam comment :) hope for many more wonderful books next year.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like smiles. Free to give, but precious to receive. Thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment. I treasure every one. Also, check back! You'll probably find a reply. :D