Monday 17 January 2011

Review: Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë


Well, nowadays it's hard not to come across mention of Jane Eyre, and other classics, within current literature and media. For this reason, I really wanted to read this book. I wanted to understand the references and know the story.

At first, I had difficulty getting into the book and it was taking me a long time to read. However, once Jane grew up and the more notable characters were introduced, I found myself getting drawn in.

I loved Mrs.Fairfax, such a kind a gentle older lady, and Adele, was such a spoilt little girl, who you couldn't help wanting to dote on, at least I couldn't.

Jane herself, is such an interesting character, she has various beliefs, which she sticks to persistently. She won't let anyone sway her beliefs or ideas, and when pushed her fiery spirit comes out. You can't help but love her, she thinks herself plain and not handsome, which other characters repeatedly mention as well. It makes you think that it must have been terrible to be ugly or not 'handsome' back then because no one lets you forget it. Anyways, despite her plainness, she's brave and one of the greatest heroines of all-time, it's no doubt we're still hearing reference to her today. And Mr.Rochester, well I tend to love whomever the heroine loves, most of the time anyways, and this time was no exception. He seemed a strict and hard man, not handsome himself either, but the banter and connection between he and Jane was so strong, you couldn't help but notice it and root for it. Edward Rochester hid various secrets, but even with those secrets, I couldn't help but feel for him.

I don't want to ruin the story for anyone who hasn't read it, but despite the hardships that befall each character, I was happy with how it ended.

It's a difficult read because of the language, which obviously we aren't used to anymore, but if you persevere, it's well worth reading. It's a beautiful story and once I got used to the language it seemed to flow off the pages.

I recommend it wholeheartedly.

Have you read Jane Eyre? Do you want to read it?

Happy Reading!!!

♪♫ Ambur

2 comments:

  1. +JMJ+

    Jane Eyre is actually one of my favourite novels of all time! I've read it from cover to cover several times through the years (with countless rereads of favourite parts in between) and believe that it has helped "shape" me into the person I am today.

    Jane's plainness gets a lot of discussion among Bronte fans. I know some readers who are convinced that Jane is lovely in her own way--that other characters just don't see it because she's a charity case as a child and a servant as an adult, meaning that she's not supposed to be beautiful. On the other hand, there are readers who are happy that the actress cast to play Jane in the movie coming out later this year is not pretty at all.

    I belong to the second group. I think that Jane is not conventionally good looking, but that there is something in her spirit that makes her beautiful to Mr. Rochester. (They do speak of a special connection--an affinity neither shares with anyone else.) It's kind of what I'm sure all of us have experienced when we think someone is really gorgeous, only to have our friends gape at us in surprise. But Bronte takes it much deeper, into the soul realm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Jane Eyre books is my favorite from Charlotte Bronte. Villette and Shiley are must-read from her as well. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like smiles. Free to give, but precious to receive. Thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment. I treasure every one. Also, check back! You'll probably find a reply. :D