Monday 17 January 2011

Review: The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinback


I won't lie, I hated the beginning of this book. It took me at least a third of the book before I could actually get into it and enjoy the story.

Part of this might be that I prefer a more forward writing style and part of it was most definitely the topic. During my grade 12 year, all we read were stories with depressing topics, we were all convinced the school board wanted us to be depressed because of it.

Anyways, after I got past the parts that I struggled through, I really grew to enjoy this book. The characters, while facing the same situation in the big picture, all seem to struggle with their own independent problems. You get to know them, know what they like, what their habits are, and you see them, most of them anyways, do almost anything to support their family. They struggle relentlessly to stay together, and I couldn't help but feel sympathy for them because of it.

The ending was shocking to say the least, but underneath the shock was such strength, and to be honest, a beauty. A beauty that mankind could be willing to go to such lengths to help one another, despite not even knowing those they are helping.

I found myself so into this book that by the end of it I had tears in my eyes. I'm a pretty easy crier, but I have to enjoy something to get to that state, so I can say I definitely enjoyed this book.

This book is a classic, and it definitely deserves that title. It's an amazing story, and once you get used to the more refined language, and by that I mean lack of current slang, it is easy to lose yourself within the story. The only downside of reading a story such as the Grapes of Wrath is that it leaves you feeling sad, which just shows you how much a book can move you, but it also leaves you with a sense of hope thanks to the ending.

I would gladly read the Grapes of Wrath again, and I'm sure that since I wouldn't be reading it for school this time, I'd like it even more.

Have you read The Grapes of Wrath? What were your thoughts?
And if you found it boring or hated it, that's ok, not every book is for every person. The important thing is to not judge other people for how they feel about a book. We're all entitled to our own opinions. And it's also important to give a book a chance, don't just say you hate a book because everyone else does...you're allowed to like a book even if your friends don't. And I'm going to leave you with that little message.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are like smiles. Free to give, but precious to receive. Thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment. I treasure every one. Also, check back! You'll probably find a reply. :D