Friday 31 August 2012

Review: Take a Bow by Elizabeth Eulberg

Source: Received a copy for an honest review from Scholastic Canada
Publisher: Point
Release Date: Already Released
Number of Pages: 278 (Hardcover)

Blurb from Goodreads:
From the fantastic author of The Lonely Hearts Club and Prom and Prejudice comes a story of all the drama and comedy of four friends who grow into themselves at a performing arts high school.

Emme, Sophie, Ethan, and Carter are seniors at a performing arts school, getting ready for their Senior Showcase recital, where the pressure is on to appeal to colleges, dance academies, and professionals in show business. For Sophie, a singer, it's been great to be friends with Emme, who composes songs for her, and to date Carter, soap opera heartthrob who gets plenty of press coverage. Emme and Ethan have been in a band together through all four years of school, but wonder if they could be more than just friends and bandmates. Carter has been acting since he was a baby, and isn't sure how to admit that he'd rather paint than perform. The Senior Showcase is going to make or break each of the four, in a funny, touching, spectacular finale that only Elizabeth Eulberg could perform.



I've read quite a few music-influenced stories in the last little while, and I was extremely happy with Take a Bow. It isn't exclusively about music, but about some students at a performing arts school. So, music, acting, painting, composing, and other fine arts rather than just music. :) I think that the variety makes it pretty original, and the multiple points of view from different types of artists definitely added to book's originality. :)

I wasn't sure if I would like the fact that it has so many point of views (it has four if you were wondering ;D), but I actually ending up really enjoying that aspect of the book. It was interesting to see different perspectives from different characters, especially ones who are so different. You have a child actor, a musical prodigy, a fame-seeking singer, and a shy composer who is more comfortable being the writer behind the singer. I loved seeing such different characters, and seeing them interact with each other.

The characters had me all over the place as far as emotions go. I was laughing with them, smiling with them...angry with them, but above all, I was completely wrapped up in their story. I have to admit, I did have my favourites out of the characters. I loved Emme, and I also really liked Carter. Sophie...well, she was my least favourite, but she was that character that you love to hate. Now, Ethan...I was very conflicted about Ethan. I really liked him sometimes, but at other times he was kind of a chauvinistic pig. His reasons for behaving that way were incredibly flawed, but he still managed to make me come around to liking him by the end of the book. I still don't approve of his behaviour lots of the time though...dude needed a smack in the head sometimes. :P But, his feelings for Emme, and the way that he was so protective towards her just completely won me over. Out of the two male characters though, I still liked Carter better. ;)

Personally, for me the best part of Take a Bow was the fact that it showed how human the characters were. Often, I feel that celebrities, or artists of any kind get glamourized or somewhat dehumanized. We think they're so different from us, and they almost don't get seen as people anymore. Take a Bow showed how they are human. They have flaws, feelings, and get self-conscious just like everybody else. It's great to get to see these young artists behind the curtain, and to get to know them for who they really are rather than who they pretend to be. I think that Elizabeth Eulberg did an amazing job showing how these four young characters are just trying to figure out who they are, and to be as true to themselves as they can. And in Sophie's case, she shows the reader the truth behind her phony persona, and it kind of shows you how maybe those artists you look up to aren't that great after all...then again, they could be even more amazing then you thought, like Emme. :)

Overall, I found Take a Bow to be a quick read, and I really enjoyed getting to see the real people behind these four young artists that Elizabeth Eulberg has shared with us. :) I think that people who love music and seeing artists behind the scenes will love this, especially if you're a fan of the whole "Behind the Music" thing. :D

Have you read Take a Bow?
How about any of Elizabeth Eulberg's books?
I haven't read any of her other books, but I've heard great things. :)

3 comments:

  1. I did read Take a Bow! It was a cute, quick read. Not as quick... your review :p Hehe. I need to get back to reading some books so I have stuff to review though, I'm almost caught up (5 left I think but they were all read over a month ago!)

    I definitely liked Carter better too. No matter his excuses, Ethan deserved that smack in the head!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hardy-har-har. :P Yup, I definitely took my time getting this baby up. I've been procrastinating my butt off with writing reviews lately. :P That's part of why I've been procrastinating with reviews. Right now I have some I can still write and post...but then I'll need to read more again. lol At least you're almost caught up. :)

      Agreed! :D

      Delete
  2. Great review, Ambur! I've heard really great things about Elizabeth Eulberg -- and this one looks great! I love a book that's based in the arts. I think I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like smiles. Free to give, but precious to receive. Thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment. I treasure every one. Also, check back! You'll probably find a reply. :D