Wednesday 22 August 2012

Review: Glitch by Heather Anastasiu

 Source: Received an egalley for an honest review from Netgalley and the publisher
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Release Date: Already released! :D
Number of Pages: 320 (Paperback)

Blurb from Goodreads:
In the Community, there is no more pain or war. Implanted computer chips have wiped humanity clean of destructive emotions, and thoughts are replaced by a feed from the Link network.

When Zoe starts to malfunction (or “glitch”), she suddenly begins having her own thoughts, feelings, and identity. Any anomalies must be immediately reported and repaired, but Zoe has a secret so dark it will mean certain deactivation if she is caught: her glitches have given her uncontrollable telekinetic powers.

As Zoe struggles to control her abilities and stay hidden, she meets other glitchers including Max, who can disguise his appearance, and Adrien, who has visions of the future. Both boys introduce Zoe to feelings that are entirely new. Together, this growing band of glitchers must find a way to free themselves from the controlling hands of the Community before they’re caught and deactivated, or worse.

In this action-packed debut, Glitch begins an exciting new young adult trilogy.



Glitch was one of my most anticipated books for this year, and I am extremely glad to say that it completely lived up...and even surpassed all of my expectations! :D As I always do when I read dystopians I payed attention to the way that the world has changed and how the author has crafted their world...and I loved the way that Heather Anastasiu created hers! She described it so well, and made it stand out. I could actually picture it the way Zoe did, with everything grey and monotone until she glitched, and then there would be bursts of colour! It created such a dynamic story and made it so easy to visualize...which I absolutely loved! :D I also loved the way that Zoe's character was revealed. In the world of Glitch, people don't feel the way that they do now. They're basically computers; like little worker bees...acting like droids to accomplish day to day tasks. It's kind of depressing. They don't feel or think on their own, but Zoe, or Zoel (her full name :P), is glitching...so she's able to actually experience life on her own. :D

Not only was Heather Anastasiu's world in Glitch flushed out and incredibly intricate, the characters were fantastic! Considering that the majority of people in Zoe's world are drones with no mind of their own...it's pretty amazing that the characters that we meet in Glitch have such life and vibrancy. Each character stands out so well, even the ones that remain under the Community's control. Zoe characterizes them for us. Her brother in particular stands out a lot considering he actually doesn't play a large role in this book, and I loved that Heather Anastasiu was able to make characters stand out so well, especially in a world where everyone pretty much just blends in. :)

So let's summarize so far: the world...amazing, the characters....also amazing, and the plot...fan-freaking-tastic! :D I loved it! Dystopians generally share the whole underground-rebellion-trying-to-overthrow-the-society factor, and Glitch definitely has that, but I felt that Heather Anastasiu did a wonderful job at keeping her story unique. The fact that people are basically computers with no feelings kind of makes this story stand out on its own, and the glitching aspect makes it even more so...especially since glitching (as the description tells you) also leads to other abilities. Together all these elements create an amazing and addictive story...and I haven't even mentioned boys yet! :D I'm not going to say too much about them because if I do I might give away some spoilers, but I will say that I have a definite favourite and I don't think that the other guy even comes close to competing...I don't even really consider it a love triangle, but I'll keep quite and let you make up your mind about it all when you read it. ;)

Overall, I loved this book! I can't even begin to think of or use enough words to describe Glitch with as much praise as I want to. I seriously LOVED this book, and it's definitely my favourite out of all the new series that I've started this year. :D Heather Anastasiu is an amazing story teller, and I definitely think that it'll be hard for readers to read this one without quickly becoming swept up in Zoe's story. :D I recommend this one to dystopia fans, and anyone who loves the whole sci-fi element with people being linked to computers. I was also a fan of the romance in this book, and I can't wait for the story, the romance, and the characters to further develop in the next one! :D

Have you read Glitch yet? If so, what'd you think?
Are you just itching to get yourself a copy?
Any other thoughts on Glitch that you'd like to share?

5 comments:

  1. I've been eyeing this one for some time. The cover is gorgeous and the idea of this world is intriguing. Thanks for the great review. On the top of my wishlist now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Chrystal! :D And thank you for your awesome comment! :D I'm glad that I could help nudge you to read this one even faster! :D

      Delete
  2. I've seen this a couple times on other blogs, sounds really interesting!!

    Awesome review, Ambur!! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is interesting! :D

      Thanks, Leanne! :D I hope you get the chance to read it soon, and that you love it too!

      Delete
  3. Hi!
    I just came across your site and it is really lovely! I happily followed you and will enjoy reading your updates. You can find me over at Rainy Day Reads, www.rainydayreads.com It would be great if you could stop by and I would love to have a fellow book lover as a new follower.
    Christine x
    Rainy Day Reads
    www.rainydayreads.com

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like smiles. Free to give, but precious to receive. Thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment. I treasure every one. Also, check back! You'll probably find a reply. :D