Friday 31 August 2018

Review: THE DUKE WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO (Victorian Rebels #6) by Kerrigan Byrne

Source: Netgalley
Publisher: St. Martin's Paperbacks
Release Date: August 28, 2018
Number of Pages: 333 (Mass Market Paperback)

DESCRIPTION

The bravest of heroes. The brashest of rebels. The boldest of lovers. These are the men who risk their hearts and their souls—for the passionate women who dare to love them…

He is known only as The Rook. A man with no name, no past, no memories. He awakens in a mass grave, a magnificent dragon tattoo on his muscled forearm the sole clue to his mysterious origins. His only hope for survival—and salvation—lies in the deep, fiery eyes of the beautiful stranger who finds him. Who nurses him back to health. And who calms the restless demons in his soul…

A LEGENDARY LOVE

Lorelei will never forget the night she rescued the broken dark angel in the woods, a devilishly handsome man who haunts her dreams to this day. Crippled as a child, she devoted herself to healing the poor tortured man. And when he left, he took a piece of her heart with him. Now, after all these years, The Rook has returned. Like a phantom, he sweeps back into her life and avenges those who wronged her. But can she trust a man who’s been branded a rebel, a thief, and a killer? And can she trust herself to resist him when he takes her in his arms?

REVIEW

I'm a little bit conflicted over this one. I really enjoyed the romantic aspects of this story and loved seeing Lorelai and the Rook get to know each other. I loved that we got to see their relationship in stages too: having it start with when they met and when they reunited about 20 years later. Their chemistry was fantastic, and I enjoyed seeing their feelings evolve and seeing both of them learn to share their feelings with one another.

The thing that left me conflicted with this story was the level of violence and brutality though. I was surprised by how ruthless the Rook and the other characters in this story were. They were definitely anti-heroes, so if you're a fan of darker heroes, you'll probably like them. I enjoy a compelling bad boy as much as the next mega romance fan, but the heroes in this one were a bit too violent for my tastes. I still loved them in their softer moments, but the brutality kept me from fully loving this story.

Overall, I thought that this romance was sexy and intriguing, but the hero was a bit too brutal for my taste. I still really enjoyed it though, and I'm definitely interested in checking out the earlier books in the series because I'd love to see the backstories for the other characters. If you're a fan of historical romances with tough anti-heroes and the women who calm them down, then this is definitely a perfect book (and series) for you!



Does The Duke with the Dragon Tattoo sound like something you'd enjoy?
Are you a fan of historical romance?
 If you are, what types or tropes do you like?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are like smiles. Free to give, but precious to receive. Thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment. I treasure every one. Also, check back! You'll probably find a reply. :D