Monday 16 April 2018

[Timeless Tour] Kick Off Questions and Full Tour Schedule!


Hey everyone! 

You might remember that last year I was part of a Timeless Tour with Simon & Schuster Canada. I was asked to join in again this year, and I jumped at the chance! I'm always eager to get my hands on some great works of historical fiction! I hope you're excited, too! :)

You can follow along with the Timeless Tour on the tour website, www.timelesstour.ca, and I've also created a master tour schedule down below. I'll update each of the blog links with the daily posts as the tour continues. :)

To kick off the Timeless Tour, we've all been asked to answer some time-related questions! Feel free to share your answers in the comments--I'd love to hear them! 



1. What do you love about historical fiction? 
I've always been a big fan of history—it was one of my favourite subjects in school and I always wanted to know more, so when I stumbled across historical fiction, I was immediately hooked! I love that it combines both my love of history and my general obsession with reading and books. I love that it transports you into another time, and I love being swept up in a time period through characters that authors create. I love historical fiction even more when you through in some romance...if you haven't guessed by now, I'm a real sucker for romance! ;)


2. If you could go back to any fictional (Outlander / Come from Away / Bellewether etc.) historical time, when would it be and why?
If I had to honestly go back in time...I just probably wouldn't. :P As much as I love camping and roughing it, I really value modern medicine, electricity, and plumbing. If I weren't being as practical though, I'd love to go back to one of two times.

The first would be any time during the Regency period while Jane Austen was writing her books. I'd love to live during the time that Pride & Prejudice and Emma were set during...I'd even take being a silent servant if I could just travel back and peek into the world. I adore all of Jane Austen's classics, but I'm also a big sucker for historical romances with all sorts of nobility, rogues, and rakes, so I'd love to see any of that!

The second period that I'd love to experience would be between 1900 and the 1920s. I'd probably want to be either in New York or London. New York with all of the splendor during the early 1900s and the Roaring Twenties would be amazing to see! I would've loved to see everything booming and growing. The only downside would be the fact that women wouldn't really have much freedom to be on their own at that time, but I'd still love to see it!


3. If you could have dinner, brunch, or coffee with three historical fiction characters, who would they be?
Hmmmm, this is tough!

Well, the easy part first! I'm going to choose to go for brunch because brunch is the best. :P

Now...how am I supposed to choose my brunch companions? Follow up question, does Elizabeth Bennet count as a historical fiction character even though she was a contemporary character when it was written?

I want her at brunch...so I'm saying she does! So, my first brunch buddy would be Elizabeth Bennet from Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice. Lizzie is witty and would be a wonderful brunch companion! She's also definitely want to talk about books, which I would love!

Next, I'd invite Diana Gabaldon's amazing brainchild, Claire Fraser, because I'm an Outlander fangirl to the extreme and she, too, would be amazing to chat with over brunch! She's feisty, smart, and she'd have some amazing stories to share. I'd also cross my fingers that Jamie would pick Claire up from brunch just so that I the rest of us ladies could enjoy the eye candy. I'm sure Claire, being the absolute gem that she is, would oblige us. ;)

Now...for my third and final choice I'd pick Mary from Philippa Gregory's The Other Boleyn Girl, which was actually the first historical fiction that I ever read. I considered picking Anne, but I actually really liked Mary—she was passionate, but practical, and I was really impressed with how she managed to make the best out of her situation. I was also going to make a joke about how she managed to keep her head of her shoulders when Anne didn't (sorry, while I resisted full-on making the bad beheading joke, I couldn't resist mentioning it at all haha)...but really, I just thought her character was so fascinating!

I think Lizzie, Claire, Mary and I would have an excellent time at brunch...we might even start a brunch book club. I can just imagine us all giggly at brunch drinking mimosas. Mary and I would definitely ply Lizzie with questions about Darcy and Claire with questions about Jamie, too. It'd be a grand ol' time! ;)

-----------

And that's a wrap on the kick off questions and my answers!!!


Follow along with the Timeless Tour on the tour website, www.timelesstour.ca

Don't miss any of the Timeless Tour—here's the full schedule:
( * denotes that the link has been updated to go directly to the relevant post)

WEEK 1:
APRIL 16
TOUR KICK OFF on all blogs.
You can check out the other bloggers's posts on their blogs:
☆ Joy @ Joyous Reads - Kick Off Post *
★ Jaclyn @ Literary Treats - Kick Off Post *
☆ Amanda @ Brains, Books, and Brawn - Kick Off Post *
★ Penny @ Literary Hoarders - Kick Off Post *

APRIL 17
★ Bachelor Girl: review – Ambur / Burning Impossibly Bright *
☆ Come From Away: written piece – Joy / Joyous Reads *
★ Bellewether: author Q&A – Penny / Literary Hoarders *
☆ Songs of Love and War: review – Amanda / Brains, Books, and Brawn *

APRIL 18
☆ Bachelor Girl: Author Q&A – Jaclyn / Literary Treats *
★ Come From Away: review – Penny / Literary Hoarders *
☆ Bellewether: written piece – Joy / Joyous Reads *
★ Songs of Love and War: review – Ambur / Burning Impossibly Bright *

APRIL 19
★ Bachelor Girl: written piece – Amanda / Brains, Books, and Brawn *
☆ Come From Away: author Q&A – Jaclyn / Literary Treats *
★ Bellewether: review – Joy / Joyous Reads *
☆ Songs of Love and War: written piece - Ambur / Burning Impossibly Bright *

APRIL 20
☆ Bachelor Girl: review – Penny / Literary Hoarders *
★ Come From Away: written piece – Amanda / Brains, Books, and Brawn *
☆ Bellewether: written piece – Ambur / Burning Impossibly Bright *
★ Songs of Love and War: author Q&A – Joy / Joyous Reads *


WEEK 2:
APRIL 23
★ Bachelor Girl: written piece – Ambur / Burning Impossibly Bright
☆ Come From Away: review – Joy / Joyous Reads
★ Bellewether: review – Jaclyn / Literary Treats
☆ Songs of Love and War: author Q&A – Penny / Literary Hoarders

APRIL 24
☆ Bachelor Girl: author Q&A – Penny / Literary Hoarders
★ Come From Away: review – Ambur / Burning Impossibly Bright
☆ Bellewether: review – Amanda / Brains, Books, and Brawn
★ Songs of Love and War: Written Piece – Jaclyn / Literary Treats

APRIL 25
★ Bachelor Girl: review – Amanda / Brains, Books, and Brawn
☆ Come From Away: author Q&A – Joy / Joyous Reads
★ Bellewether: written piece – Penny / Literary Hoarders
☆ Songs of Love and War: review – Jaclyn / Literary Treats

APRIL 26
☆ Bachelor Girl: Author Q&A – Ambur / Burning Impossibly Bright
★ Come From Away: review – Jaclyn / Literary Treats
☆ Bellewether: author Q&A – Joy / Joyous Reads
★ Songs of Love and War: written piece – Amanda / Brains, Books, and Brawn

APRIL 27
★ Bachelor Girl: written piece – Penny / Literary Hoarders
☆ Come From Away: review – Amanda / Brains, Books, and Brawn 
★ Bellewether: review – Ambur / Burning Impossibly Bright
☆ Songs of Love and War: review – Joy / Joyous Reads


WEEK 3:
APRIL 30
☆ Bachelor Girl: review – Joy / Joyous Reads
★ Come From Away: author written piece – Penny / Literary Hoarders
☆ Bellewether: author Q&A – Ambur / Burning Impossibly Bright
★ Songs of Love and War: author Q&A – Jaclyn / Literary Treats

MAY 1
★ Bachelor Girl: author written piece – Jaclyn / Literary Treats
☆ Come From Away: Author Q&A – Amanda / Brains, Books, and Brawn
★ Bellewether: review – Penny / Literary Hoarders
☆ Songs of Love and War: written piece - Joy / Joyous Reads

MAY 2
☆ Bachelor Girl: Author Q&A - Joy / Joyous Reads
★ Come From Away: author Q&A – Ambur / Burning Impossibly Bright
☆ Bellewether: written piece – Amanda / Brains, Books, and Brawn
★ Songs of Love and War: review – Penny / Literary Hoarders

MAY 3
★ Bachelor Girl: review – Jaclyn / Literary Treats
☆ Come From Away: written piece – Ambur / Burning Impossibly Bright
★ Bellewether: author Q&A – Amanda / Brains, Books, and Brawn
☆ Songs of Love and War: Written Piece – Penny / Literary Hoarders

MAY 4
☆ Bachelor Girl: written piece – Joy / Joyous Reads
★ Come From Away: author Q&A – Penny / Literary Hoarders
☆ Bellewether: author Q&A – Jaclyn / Literary Treats
★ Songs of Love and War: author Q&A – Amanda / Brains, Books, and Brawn



So, what do you think? 
Are you excited for the Timeless Tour? 
And what would your answers to these questions be:
  1. What do you love about historical fiction?
  2. If you could go back to any fictional (Outlander / Come from Away / Bellewether etc.) historical time, when would it be and why?
  3. If you could have dinner, brunch, or coffee with three historical fiction characters, who would they be?
I hope you have so much fun following along with this tour, I know I can't wait to be a part of it!

3 comments:

  1. Great answers Ambur! This has been a lot of fun to read everyone's answers that are participating on the tour.

    Like you I was a huge history lover - really wanted to have that be my undergrad and graduate schooling, but got talked into other things even though I STILL found ways to make sure History was at the crux of both! ;-) :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Penny! :) I agree! It's nice to see why other readers love historical fiction and what characters they've connected with!

      I'm glad that even though you didn't have history as your main focus in school, you still made sure it was still intrinsically part of your schooling. :) I was an English major with a Linguistics minor so I got to enjoy aspects of history in both, too! I also made sure to take subjects with history elements as my options for my degree where I could. ;)

      Delete

Comments are like smiles. Free to give, but precious to receive. Thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment. I treasure every one. Also, check back! You'll probably find a reply. :D