Tuesday 28 September 2010

Sooo...it's Banned Book Week!!

To be honest, I haven't had much time to read any banned books this week.
Although this past weekend I did squeeze in the time to read Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson, and The Earth, My Butt and Other Big Round Things by Carolyn Mackler, which I borrowed from my local branch of the Edmonton Public Library. :)



     The Earth, My Butt and Other Big Round Things by Carolyn Mackler
Click the picture of each book to go to their page on Goodreads.

Now, I just had to read Speak, especially after hearing about the whole Dr.Scroggins thing. Personally, I didn't consider any of the scenes in the book to be inappropriate, they were real. They weren't graphic, they were fragmented because Melinda had a hard time accepting what happened. I felt like it was an empowering story, the main character, Melinda, spent the better part of the book being quiet and not speaking up. It's a story that many people could relate to, even if you haven't been raped yourself, you could be, and if you have, it let's you know you're not alone. I'm sure that this book has inspired people to speak up about their own experiences, that it's given the courage and the strength that they'd been searching for.

Before putting Speak on my hold list from the library I decided to do some searching for other books that have been banned in the past. The Earth, My Butt and Other Big Round Things is one of the ones that I found, and I thought it looked like an interesting story. Virginia, the main character, is a bigger girl, and throughout the book she struggles with her body image. This whole book just screamed 'BODY IMAGE.' To me, I think it's an inspiring book for people who have problems with the way that they look. Virginia's family all appear to be perfect and she feels like she doesn't belong, it doesn't help that her family constantly makes comments pertaining to her weight. Once Virginia becomes comfortable in her own body she soars. She goes from being almost friendless to finding her niche. I thought this book was great, and I'd definitely recommend it, especially if you're in the mood for some laughs, Virginia's one funny character.

Right now, I'm reading Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler


Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler


So far, I'm really liking it, unfortunately it might take me a while to get through it, since I'm also reading the Odyssey for my Comparative Literature class. Fingers crossed that I get some time for some recreational reading soon.

Anyways, which books are YOU reading for Banned Book Week?? Or are you like me, and unfortunately are a little lax on time this week?

Happy Reading & Do Svidanya!

Ambur

1 comment:

  1. I have loved Speak ever since I read it two years ago. And I've always wanted to read The Earth, My Butt, and Other Round Things. And Twenty Boy Summer - I want to read that since more attention has been drawn to it. Thanks for focusing on these. Hope you're having a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like smiles. Free to give, but precious to receive. Thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment. I treasure every one. Also, check back! You'll probably find a reply. :D