Tuesday 22 August 2017

Review: MISTER HOCKEY (Hellions Angels #1) by Lia Riley

Source: Edelweiss
Publisher: Avon Impulse
Release Date: July 11, 2017
Number of Pages: 256 (ebook)


Description:
Her biggest fantasy is about to become a reality. . .

Jed West is Mr. Hockey. The captain of the NHL’s latest winning team, the Denver Hellions–and the hottest player on the ice—at least according to every magazine. .and Breezy Angel. Breezy has been drooling over Jed at games for years, and he plays a starring role in her most toe-curling fantasies. But dirty dreams don’t come true, right?

Then Jed saunters through the doors of her library, a last minute special guest for a summer reading event, and not only is he drop dead gorgeous up close, his personality is straight up swoon-worthy. He even comes to the rescue when she has an R-rated “Super Book Worm” costume malfunction. But when he mistakenly assumes she’s more into books than pucks, she’s too flustered to correct his mistake. And then comes a big kiss, followed by a teensy-tiny problem. Jed’s dating policy is simple: Never date a fan.

So what’s a fangirl going to have to do to convince her ultimate crush that he’s become less of a perfect fantasy, and more like the perfect man. . .for her?

REVIEW

I'm a HUGE sports romance fan, so when I saw MISTER HOCKEY available for review on Edelweiss, I jumped at the chance to read it! I'm always looking for new sports romances and authors who write it because I just can't get enough! Lia Riley was a new author to me when I started MISTER HOCKEY, so I thought that it would be the perfect book to introduce me to her and I ended up really enjoying it!!

At this point, I've read quite a few sports romances! Not many of them have been laugh-out-loud funny though, but MISTER HOCKEY had me constantly laughing! Parts of it were outrageously silly, but I still couldn't help chuckling while readingno matter how silly it got! From the blurb and the heroine's name (Breezy), I was expecting a lighter book right from the start, but I was still a bit surprised by how quirky and silly it was. When I first started reading I thought it was so outrageous  that I actually wasn't sure if I'd end up liking it, but it really grew on me! Breezy's euphemisms and strange sayings ended up making me laugh so muchand I still chuckle when I think, "Holy guacamole with a side of chips!" So beware, if you start MISTER HOCKEY and find it really goofy, give it a bit of time! Once the romance gets rolling, you might get as hooked as I did!

Part of the reason that I found the book pretty silly was that Breezy was super quirkier (she seriously takes quirky to a whole new level!), but I loved that she was a major bookworm, and I could definitely relate to her epic crush on Jed. And Jed...I loved Jed! He was sweet, thoughtful, generous...and super sexy, too! I loved that Breezy and Jed had the most awkwardly-adorable meet-cute and I got a major kick out of the ridiculous antics that followed! Their dynamics were great, and they had amazing chemistry! I did feel like their romance was a little rushedit only takes place over a couple of weeks, but I still thought it was adorable, and I loved how cute they were together!! This is by no means a realistic romance, but it was super cute nonetheless. ;)

 Overall, MISTER HOCKEY had its dramatic momentswhat story wouldn't when the romance involves a couple where the heroine starts out as a mega-fan of the herobut I still thought it was adorable! MISTER HOCKEY was quirky, light, fun, and outrageously funny! I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a romance that isn't too serious, especially for readers looking for something to make them smile and laugh!



What do you think?
Are you a fan of quirky stories?
And does anyone else actively search out new books and authors in their favourite genres or sub-genres? If you do, what do you look for?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are like smiles. Free to give, but precious to receive. Thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment. I treasure every one. Also, check back! You'll probably find a reply. :D