Wednesday 3 August 2011

Review: Little White Lies (Mimics of Rune #1) by Aimee Laine

Source: Received an ebook from publisher for an honest review.
Release Date: Already Released.
Visit its page on the publisher website: Little White Lies

Description:

When the government needs a body double for a covert operation, they hire shape-shifter Charley Randall. For two centuries, she's played every part from foreign dignitary to office drone. The role she wants most, though, is one she's denied herself three times already.

FBI Agent Wyatt Moreland believes Charley's photographic memory is the key to his latest assignment. He's oblivious to the true extent of her abilities, but he can't deny the sense of déjà vu at their introduction.

Unlike Wyatt, Charley knows this isn't their first meeting.

It's their fourth.

The girl he vowed to love, sixteen years before, stands in front of him in her true form — one he'll never recognize.

With each reconnection, Charley loves him more though she realizes this is her last chance to explain. Only absolute truth can bring them happiness, but can Wyatt forgive her deceptions? Or will lies tear them apart forever?




I loved the idea of this story, and once I started reading, I loved it even more! Charley was an amazing character, and I loved seeing things from her perspective! She was a fantastic narrator, and so fierce! The narration also shifts around to Wyatt frequently, and even to another character named Stuart at one point, and I have to say that loved that it shifted to Stuart, it made that part of the book super mysterious! I also loved Wyatt's parts. ;)

When I read the blurb for this story I thought of Mystique from X-men, and even while reading, the comparison didn't really leave my head. I loved that. I'm a sucker for the X-Men. I've never read the comics, but I used to watch the TV show, play some of the video games based off of them, and I've watched all of the newer movies that have been made. So, I'm definitely a fan, and I loved that this story reminded me of that.

The characters were awesome in Little White Lies, and I loved the backstory for Charley, and the other Mimics as they called themselves. I'm not going to go too into detail because I think it's more interesting to learn about them yourselves, so I'll leave that to you. ;) Oh and I just have to mention Wyatt, I LOVED Wyatt! He was sexy. ;) I loved him alone, and even more when he was with Charley. ;)

Another interesting thing about Little White Lies was how it was organized. The book is split up between three different times where Charley has 'encountered' Wyatt, and I honestly loved that. I didn't expect that at first, but I thought it was a fantastic way to tell this story.

There are sex scenes in this book, just so everyone knows, and I guess this is my little content warning part of the review. ;) Honestly though, I found the way that the sex scenes were done to be very subtle and while you knew what was happening nothing was overly descriptive. It was more about the emotional connection than the act itself, so I'm telling you now that it has sex scenes, but they aren't raunchy ones. :)

Since I've already professed my love for this book, I'm guessing I don't need to say that I loved it again (even though I just did :P), but I will say that this book is full of action, it's embedded with mystery, and it's emotional all the way through. I definitely recommend this book to others. It was a fantastic story, and I think that fans of paranormal (and even fans of contemporary) will thoroughly enjoy it, it's versatile like that. ;) Aimee Laine has written an amazing story, and I encourage you to get yourself a copy as soon as possible. :D

Does Little White Lies sound like something you'd like to read?
Have you read it already? If so, what'd you think?

Happy Reading!!!

♪♫ Ambur

4 comments:

  1. Ambur - thank you so much for totally making my day with your review. :) ::blush::

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Aimee! :D Thanks for writing such an awesome story that I wanted to gush about! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book definitely sounded like something I would like to read after the description, but after reading your review..it sounds like something I must read! Thanks for the review ^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read this novel, and I agree with everything you've said in your review. Strong characters, great storyline, and awesome writing. Just my kind of deal.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like smiles. Free to give, but precious to receive. Thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment. I treasure every one. Also, check back! You'll probably find a reply. :D