Wednesday 31 August 2011

Review: The Glass Man ( A Lily Gray Novel #1) by Jocelyn Adams

Source: Received an ebook from publisher for an honest review.
Publisher: J.Taylor Publishing
Release Date: Already Released.
Visit its page on the publisher website: The Glass Man

Description:
Lila Gray is just a human — at least that's her mantra when she accidentally topples a building or bends a paranoid local's gun into modern art. That she can sense and control the minds around her doesn't prove anything, either. Unwilling to put others at risk, she hides in the wilderness from the beautiful creature who hunts her, one who sees her as his ultimate prize.

Alone, the egocentric Glass Man can kill with a thought. Mated with Lila, he's a supernatural weapon prepared to annihilate the humans he loathes.

Caught in the Glass Man's latest scheme, Lila is plunged into a hidden fae realm, faced with a secret birthright and a forbidden romance.

With the Glass Man threatening everyone she loves, can Lila accept who she is in time to end his bloody reign? Or will she succumb to his dark power and become the vehicle of destruction for the human race?



First, I want to say that I am a BIG fan of books with fae (faeries, fairies, fey, whatever you wanna call 'em...I like 'em ;D) in them, so I absolutely loved the whole fae aspect of The Glass Man, and I think that Jocelyn did a fabulous job with creating her own fae world. It was inventive, and had an incredibly descriptive and vivid backstory. One of the biggest things I loved about this book was that the main character, Lila, is pretty much figuring it all out right alongside of the reader, which I always love in a story.

The characters were fantastic in The Glass Man. There was the fierce and tough heroine, Lila, and the big baddy, Parthalan, who was creepily attractive (translation: dude is a psychopath...yet, seriously attractive, and I mean SERIOUSLY haha) and quite the douchebucket, if I do say so myself. Then there was Liam...awww, I loved me some Liam, and Garret was just so sweet. :D I also loved Lila's memories of her mother. Overall, the characters of The Glass Man were fantastic, and well developed...there wasn't a flat character in the bunch. They could have practically walked right off the page...although in some cases with the creepier ones, I'd be terrified if they really did. *shudder*

While I loved most of this book, there was one aspect that bothered me. Lila was constantly saying things about having choices and decisions, and pretty much being in control of everything that happens in the decision maker's life...yet when it came to a big part of the book where choosing was involved, Lila herself stated that there was no choice. Now, I could understand what she meant in that part of the book, but it still bothered me. For such a fierce character to say something so contradictory to what she'd been saying before, I couldn't help but feel confused. However, in the cases where choices aren't really choices, let's be honest, they usually are and we just say there aren't any so we feel better about the decision we've made. So, I chose to interpret it as Lila made a choice she didn't want to make. Also, just to be clear, this wasn't the type of thing that bothered me enough to actually dislike the book. In fact, I really liked it, but it did bother me during the moment, and I just needed to let it out. :P

Another great part of The Glass Man was all of the action. It was awesome! It was intense, and the to add onto that, the magic throughout the story was completely amazing. Lila has some serious skills! :D This book is more of an adventure story, but it is also sensual, a little erotic, and a lot fantastical. It does have some sex scenes, and there are swear words, so it might not be the most appropriate book for younger readers, or ones who don't like that sort of thing, but if you do like it *waggles eyebrows* then this is definitely a book for you. ;)

Jocelyn Adams has created an amazing world in The Glass Man, full of vivid characters and settings. It's incredibly easy to lose yourself in this book, and trust me, you will want to lose yourself and you will enjoy it. :D

Are you a fan of fae stories?
And I'm curious, how do you feel when a character does something that bothers you?
Do you let it fester, or do you try and move on like I do, and continue to enjoy the story?

Happy Reading!!!

♪♫ Ambur

3 comments:

  1. I read this one a short while back when I received and ARC and loved it. My first foray in fae literature, and I'm now happy to pick up other books with these kind of characters in. It's certainly pacey.
    Oh, and your opinion of Parthalon made me laugh, because that was exactly how I saw him, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for a great review. I love fae stories, especially Laurel K. Hamilton's Merry Gentry series.

    If something irks me about a story, I usually just gloss over it and keep going. I get that I won't necessarily understand the motivations behind everything an author writes and that's okay.

    I'll keep an eye out for more of your reviews. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @jabelfield: They definitely are pacey. You even feel like you read them more quickly because there's so much going on! :D haha
    Glad we're on the same page about that sexy sexy psychopath! haha

    @Jocelyn Adams: You're welcome! Thanks for writing such an awesome book! Hmm, I haven't read that series yet, I'll definitely have to look into it. :D Ya, that's pretty much what I do. I stop for a bit, process it, and move on. Unless it's something that is happening constantly and is a fundamental aspect of a character that annoys me I usually don't dwell on it. lol Although, I have read books where one of the main character annoyed me so much that I just couldn't enjoy the story. There were 2 other narrators that kind of made it better tho...but I just disliked her so much. haha
    Awe, thanks Jocelyn. :D And I'll keep an eye out for more of your stories. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are like smiles. Free to give, but precious to receive. Thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment. I treasure every one. Also, check back! You'll probably find a reply. :D