Thursday 24 March 2011

Review: City of Glass by Cassandra Clare

CITY OF GLASS by Cassandra Clare

Source: My own personal copy.
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry
Release Date: Already released.

I'm a huge Cassandra Clare fangirl, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. When I first found the Mortal Instruments Trilogy (back then it was still a trilogy lol) I flew through it in no time. I fortunately found the series when all three were out, so I didn't have any wait time between books. Now that there are three more books in the series I couldn't be happier. As much as I dislike waiting for books to come out, I know it will be worth the wait. I'm so excited to read City of Fallen Angels. I can't wait to read about the familiar characters that I've grown to love, and I can't wait to meet new characters either. I'm also not ashamed to admit that I simply cannot wait to read more about Jace, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that. ;)

City of Glass was an amazing end to a wonderful trilogy, but while it was a great conclusion to the series, it was also done in a way that I honestly wasn't all that surprised when Cassandra Clare added three more books. I think some of it was left more open-ended because she had already planned to write a graphic novel for Simon after COG. That graphic novel fell through and now we have three more amazing books to look forward to. With City of Fallen Angels so close to release, I decided it was time for me to finally get my review for City of Glass written. So here it is. :D

I loved City of Glass. It had action, romance, mystery, angels, demons, vampires, werewolves, fey...you name it, and City of Glass had it. There were so many moments in COG where I honestly had to put the book down for a second because it was so intense. I find it so easy to get completely absorbed in these books, and every time I read them I get to that state where I just can't put them down.

The characters, the settings, absolutely everything about this series draws me in, and I just can't break free from it. I've reread this series countless times, and it never gets old. I may know what's going to happen, but there is always something new that I notice with every reading. It might be something small like a certain line or joke that I didn't understand before or it may be something huge that I'm like 'Wow! How did I miss that?!' but there's always something. I never get tired of reading this series, and I cannot wait to read even more about some of my favourite characters in the next three books! :D

I don't want to go too much into detail with this review because this is the third book in the series, so I'm trying really hard not to spoil things. :P City of Glass was pretty action packed, and I loved the twists and turns, especially because once I'd read the book and I reread it, I could totally pick up on clues leading to those twists! I love it when authors set up their books in super subtle ways, and Cassandra Clare is majorly skilled at this. As always, I loved the characters in this one to bits. I loved that we got to see lots of Magnus, and I loved that we got POV's from Jace, Simon and Clary. I loved the jokes, and the blossoming friendships/relationships.

One of my favourite parts of the Mortal Instruments is the way that Paradise Lost is interwoven in the story, from the quotes between different parts of the books, to quotes from the characters themselves. It is so well done, and I love that it even makes Paradise Lost more accessible. I had to read parts of it for my comparative lit class, and after reading this series, I honestly felt like I already knew huge chunks of it. I also love the whole Shadowhunter mythology too, and I love how we get to see even more of it in this book...and that's all I'm going to say about that. ;)

Cassandra Clare's Mortal Instruments Series is, in my opinion (just making that clear :P), one of the best series in YA, it's got something for guys and girls alike, and if you haven't started this series yet...what are you waiting for?! If you like any kind of supernatural fiction at all, this series is definitely one that you need to check out, and since there are three more books coming, why not start it now? :)

Here are a couple of links for you:
Cassandra Clare's Livejournal
The Mortal Instruments Website
Cassandra Clare's Twitter 

Here are the Goodreads pages to the other books in the Mortal Instruments Series:
City of Bones -- 1st Book in the Series
City of Ashes -- 2nd Book in the Series
City of Fallen Angels - Release Date: April 5, 2011
City of Lost Souls - Set for Release In: May 2012
City of Heavenly Fire - Set for Release In: September 2013

Here's some links so you can get your own copy of City of Glass or pre-order your own copy of City of Fallen Angels:
 

Have you read the Mortal Instruments yet??
Are you excited for CoFA??? I've pre-ordered my copy already, have you??

Happy Reading!!!

♪♫ Ambur

2 comments:

  1. After finishing City of Glass, I finally understand why these books are best-selling. The first two books were average, with just enough to keep me interested but nothing special. This volume knocked it out of the ballpark. The main characters become fully developed and the plot kicks into high gear with nearly non-stop action. Book two ended on a cliffhanger with someone telling Clary how to wake her mother. This book picks up immediately from there with everyone traveling to the fabled Alicante. The last Mortal Instrument is here, and Valentine will come for it. I was very happy to see the other characters (Luke, Alec, Magnus, et al) get fully involved in the story, as well as their relationships solidifying along with Jace and Clary's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read them all in one go, so I never really had to wait for that last one, but I liked the first two, too, so I never thought they were average myself. Glad to hear that you loved City of Glass though. :) Thanks for your comment.

      Delete

Comments are like smiles. Free to give, but precious to receive. Thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment. I treasure every one. Also, check back! You'll probably find a reply. :D