Thursday 22 December 2016

Review: His Bloody Project by Graeme Macrae Burnet

Source: Sample copy through Thomas Allen & Son Ltd. All opinions are my own.
Publisher: Skyhorse Publishing
Release Date: October 18, 2016
Number of Pages: 300 (Hardcover)


Description from Goodreads:
A triple murder in a remote northwestern farming community in 1869 leads to the arrest of a young man by the name of Roderick Macrae. There’s no question that Macrae is guilty, but the police and courts must uncover what drove him to murder the local village constable and his two children. The book starts with the account of the accused killer who gives us the events leading up to the murders from his jail cell. The book then offers the fictional opinion of a medical doctor and psychologist on the questionable sanity of Roderick Macrae. The last third of the book is a courtroom transcript that reveals the full truth of the events that left three dead. Burnet has created a fascinating unreliable narrator in this historical revenge tragedy and courtroom drama.
Wow.

I don't usually read thrillers or any kind of crimes novels, so HIS BLOODY PROJECT isn't my typical genre, but we'd been getting seriously excited about it at work because it was nominated for the 2016 Man Booker Prize (it ended up being a finalist, but didn't win), and my company distributed it for the first time in Canada. The description had me seriously intrigued, so I gave it a shot, and I'm so glad that I did!

I decided to snag a sample copy for myself to read when I flew home to Alberta in September, and I'm so glad that I did! The story was extremely intriguing, complicated and I didn't want to put it down!

HIS BLOODY PROJECT is complex, and it'll leave you feeling more conflicted than you can possibly imagine. It'll keep you up at night reading, and when you're not reading, it'll still be on your mind. It's the kind of story that sticks with you and I'm extremely glad that I decided to go outside of my regular reading habits and give it a shot because it turned out to be one of my favourite books this year!

If you're already a thriller fan, definitely read this, and if it's not your typical genre either, but you find the story compelling, I wholeheartedly recommend it because I thought it was remarkable! I had a total book hangover after finishing this one, and it's continued to be on my mind for the past few months!

What do you think?
Does HIS BLOODY PROJECT sound like something you'd like to read?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are like smiles. Free to give, but precious to receive. Thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment. I treasure every one. Also, check back! You'll probably find a reply. :D