Friday 4 March 2016

Review: The Winner's Kiss (The Winner's Trilogy #3) by Marie Rutkoski

Source: Received an egalley from the publisher for an honest review.
Publisher: Farrar Straus & Giroux
Release Date: March 29, 2016
Number of Pages: 352 (Hardcover)


Description from Goodreads:
War has begun. Arin is in the thick of it, with the East as his ally and the empire as his enemy. He’s finally managed to dismiss the memory of Kestrel, even if he can’t quite forget her. Kestrel turned into someone he could no longer recognize: someone who cared more for the empire than for the lives of innocent people—and certainly more than she cared for him. At least, that’s what he thinks.

But far north lies a work camp where Kestrel is a prisoner. Can she manage to escape before she loses herself? As the war intensifies, both Kestrel and Arin discover unexpected roles in battle, terrible secrets, and a fragile hope. The world is changing. The East is pitted against the West, and Kestrel and Arin are caught between. In a game like this, can anybody really win?
I've been hooked on The Winner's Trilogy since I first read The Winner's Curse back when it released...and The Winner's Kiss was no exception! My immediate reaction upon finishing it was stunned silence. I try not to make predictions before finishing trilogies or series, but nothing that I could have predicted would've prepared me for The Winner's Kiss. It was heart-wrenching, wonderful, and far greater than anything that I could've possibly imagined!

It was absolutely spectacular returning to Kestrel and Arin's story....it felt like torture waiting for it, but it was well worth the wait! From the very first page of The Winner's Kiss right until the very last, I was riveted! It made me anxious, it made me laugh, it made me smile, it made me cry...it made me feel so much, and it was amazing!!!! If you're already a fan of The Winner's Trilogy, I'm absolutely positive that you with love this book and that you won't be disappointed. While it does have moments that will mess with your heartstrings, it will leave you completely satisfied! I've been let down by the final books in trilogies before, but The Winner's Kiss was PERFECT!

It's too easy to accidentally post spoilers once you review the last book in the trilogy, so I'll just say that I loved the story! It was complex, well-developed and all of my questions have been answered! I've been recommending this trilogy right from the start, but now that I've read The Winner's Kiss and absolutely loved it, I want to recommend it even more!! The Winner's Trilogy is an absolute favourite of mine. It's packed full of amazing, strong characters. The world-building is intriguing, breathtaking, and it comes to life as you read the page. And the story...the story is an adventure that you will be glad you took!

I'd gladly recommend The Winner's Kiss, and the entire Winner's Trilogy to anyone who loves fantasy series that have a bit of a historical/medieval feel to them, especially if you love smart, headstrong heroines and determined heroes! Oooh and forbidden love, too. ;) If you decide to read this trilogy, I hope you love it as much as I do, and if you're eagerly awaiting The Winner's Kiss, trust me⎯it was well worth the wait!

What do you think?
Have you already started reading The Winner's Trilogy?
Do you want to?

2 comments:

  1. Eep, couldn't resist taking a peak at this review for the last book even though I haven't even read the first one - thank you for posting an entirely spoiler free review! Seriously, this is a great teaser for what I can expect to come. One of the most disappointing reading experiences for me is an unsatisfying series finale, so I'm super stoked that this one honestly blew you away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Eilidh!!! I don't think I've ever posted a spoiler in a review before, I always try not to because I know I would be so upset to be spoiled...especially for the last book!! :D I'm glad that I could tease you in a great way!! I completely agree. It's the worst when you've loved a trilogy right up until the end and then you're just left super disappointed. This one definitely does not do that!!! :D It really did!

      Delete

Comments are like smiles. Free to give, but precious to receive. Thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment. I treasure every one. Also, check back! You'll probably find a reply. :D