Sunday 30 August 2015

All About Audiobooks!

I have to admit that before I started listening to audiobooks, I was reluctant. I'd listened to one audiobook in the past, and it was a horrible experience. I didn't like the story and I didn't like the reader at all, but I was asked if I wanted to review an audiobook of one of my favourite author's books, so I listened to a sample, I liked what I heard, and I decided to go for it! And I'm so glad that I did! That was months ago now, and I've been hooked ever since!

I plan to start reviewing the audiobooks I listen to, but today I just wanted to let you know how easy it is to listen to them! :D There are several sites that require memberships, where you purchase credits, like Audible. But there are also a lot of other options that allow you access to audiobooks through your library, or even give you free access if they're out of the public domain.

Here are some of my favourite options for audiobooks:
  • AUDIBLE

    • I've found other websites where you purchase audibooks, but so far Audible is my favourite!!! Each credit costs you $14.95, and you can use one credit to purchase most audiobooks, but if the audiobook costs less than that, you can also select to just purchase it, instead of using your credits. There are daily deals, and sales every once in a while, too. But, the best part for me for Audible is that it uses whispersync with Amazon.com, so if you already own an ebook from Amazon, and there is an audiobook, you can purchase the audiobook at a discounted rate, too.
  • LIBRIVOX

    • Librivox is a completely free site where volunteers record audiobooks that can be downloaded or listened to online. These recordings aren't always as good of quality as the ones you purchase, but they're still really great.
  • OVERDRIVE

    • This is by far my favourite resource for listening to audiobooks! Your library has to have a membership with overdrive to use the service, but if they have one, you can borrow audiobooks and ebooks, and you can load them onto your devices. I've been using my iPhone and I love it! :D
  • HOOPLA

    • Just like Overdrive requires your library's membership, so does Hoopla. Hoopla has movies and even more, too, so that's pretty great. Their selection isn't quite as big as Overdrive's, but they still have some awesome titles! :D
  • SCRIBD

    • Scribd used to be more of a place to share excerpts and PDFs, but over the last year or so they started to become a service where you can read ebooks, and listen to audibooks, too. I haven't started using it yet, but my mom has, and she's hooked!

What do you think?

Are you a fan of audiobooks, or are you reluctant to try them like I was?
For audio fans, what's your favourite way to listen to them?
And, do you have any favourite books or audio readers?

2 comments:

  1. I have been listening to audiobooks for years now. Like you, it did take me some time to get into them, but once I did was hooked. I particularly enjoy them when I am cleaning, at the gym (before I started working out at home), at night when I am struggling to sleep, but know I should be resting, or even at work, on those days that I am doing a mindless task and can easily listen to something.

    I have even found a few narrators that I love. Which is a lot of fun! I am glad you've discovered audio book Ambur, and that you're enjoying them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audiobooks are definitely perfect for all of those things!! :D I also like to listen to them when I'm walking places. :)

      Same here!!! I'll listen to anything that my favourite narrators are narrating! Thanks!! I'm glad you love them, too! :)

      Delete

Comments are like smiles. Free to give, but precious to receive. Thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment. I treasure every one. Also, check back! You'll probably find a reply. :D