How to live with an author and not go crazy
Here are five tips to surviving the author in your life without losing your sanity.
- When you’re talking to your author and her eyes glass over, don’t fly into a snit. She doesn’t think you’re boring or long winded; it’s just that you can’t compete with the epic battle between a glittering horde of fae and an army of gorgeous vampires forming in her head. Do not interrupt her now, or you might get slapped! Simply go and have a coffee and wait for her to return to the outer realm. And if she takes too long, try again in the morning. Or maybe next week.
- Your author may strike up a conversation in the car about how she thinks John might be in love with Sara, but it would never work because he’s in the secret service and she’s a Russian spy. These are her characters, and they are as real to her as you are. Yes, they are. Trust me! Just keep nodding and appear fascinated by her genius. Under no circumstances ask what the hell she’s talking about or laugh. Unless you want to be killed slowly by her laser stare all the way to your mother’s house.
- If you find your author bent over her laptop, typing madly and muttering to herself, do not approach for any reason. She’s probably been trying to get this scene right for the last two hours, and she’s almost there … if only she could figure out how David will kill the gargoyle! Breaking her concentration for something silly like suppertime or to point out that the house is burning down might just be the last thing you ever do.
- You come home from work to find your author hugging her kindle and bawling her eyes out. No, you didn’t do something bad. Her mother didn’t die of a heart attack. Your dog is alive and well. It’s just that she just had to kill off one of her favorite characters, and it broke her heart into smithereens. Do not tell her they’re not real and only exist in her imagination. Seriously. Unless you want her to break that kindle over your head. Hugs work wonders, and if that doesn’t work, point out that she can always bring her character back in a dream or a flashback. That’ll win you some brownie points.
- It’s the middle of the night. Suddenly your author springs out of bed, chattering up a storm and racing around like a lunatic. Don’t be afraid. There are no bugs in the covers. She isn’t in pain. She’s not plotting to kill you even though her eyes are screaming crazy. Her mind has just solved the problem with her story arc and she can’t find a dang pen! Find her something to write with and you can go back to sleep. For now. :)
Do you have any writers in your life? I’d love to hear about their quirks and rituals.
About Jocelyn Adams
Jocelyn Adams grew up on a cattle farm in Lakefield and has remained a resident of Southern Ontario her entire life, most recently in Muskoka. She has worked as a computer geek, a stable hand, a secretary, and spent most of her childhood buried up to the waist in an old car or tractor engine with her mechanically inclined dad. But mostly, she's a dreamer with a vivid imagination and a love for fantasy (and a closet romantic — shhh!). When she isn't shooting her compound bow in competition or writing, she hangs out with her husband and young daughter at their little house in the woods.
Back of the Book:
That’s the question Lila Gray asks every time yet another bad guy tries to destroy the earth, and she learns she’s the only one who can stop it. Once again, something’s on the prowl, leaving hundreds of comatose, soulless victims in its wake.
Couldn’t the deadliest assassins of the Otherworld go after someone else instead of the brand new Queen of the Seelie? One who still hasn’t adapted to her new role.
Lila would ask Liam Kane, King of the Unseelie, for advice, but something’s off with him, too. He’s holding back. In some way. About some thing. In fact, he refuses to tell her what’s going on.
The truth holds Lila back from the greatness of her role—the people she was born to lead—the man who she desperately loves—and the solution to the latest war raging around her.
To find the answers, she’ll need to fight through her own darkness and embark on a journey through her psyche.
If she doesn’t succeed, the Shadowborn will claim not only her world, but her soul.
- 1 Winner
- Prize is an ebook of Shadowborn and a signed bookmark
- Giveaway ends on November 10th at 12:01 AM (EST).
- Winner will be drawn using Rafflecopter, and once contacted, will have 48 hours to claim their prize.
To enter just fill out the Rafflecopter below:
Good Luck! And Thank You for entering!