Tuesday 16 October 2012

Review: Shadowborn (Lily Gray #2) by Joceyln Adams

 
Source: Received an ebook from publisher for an honest review.
Release Date: Already Released.
Visit its page on the publisher website: Shadowborn

Description:
Intended audience: 18+, strong language, adult themes, some violence.

Why me?

That’s the question Lila Gray asks every time yet another bad guy tries to destroy the earth, and she learns she’s the only one who can stop it. Once again, something’s on the prowl, leaving hundreds of comatose, soulless victims in its wake.

Couldn’t the deadliest assassins of the Otherworld go after someone else instead of the brand new Queen of the Seelie? One who still hasn’t adapted to her new role.

Lila would ask Liam Kane, King of the Unseelie, for advice, but something’s off with him, too. He’s holding back. In some way. About some thing. In fact, he refuses to tell her what’s going on.

The truth holds Lila back from the greatness of her role—the people she was born to lead—the man who she desperately loves—and the solution to the latest war raging around her.

To find the answers, she’ll need to fight through her own darkness and embark on a journey through her psyche.

If she doesn’t succeed, the Shadowborn will claim not only her world, but her soul.



Since The Glass Man, Lila has been busy...she's been training, and doing her Queenly duties...but she hasn't been all that busy with Liam (yes, that was a dirty pun, but you can choose to ignore it if you like :P I won't...I'm totally giggling to myself right now ;D haha). I'll admit, I could have totally used more Liam in this one, but the ending left me hopeful that I'll get to see TONNES of him in the next book! Eeek! :D

Since this is the sequel, I don't want to spoil you too much! I will say that I absolutely loved Lila though! She's such a strong character, and I absolutely loved getting to see her evolve throughout this book. She was tough in The Glass Man, but she totally wowed me in Shadowborn! I loved seeing her actively make changes in her life, and it was great seeing her put herself out there to finally get to know some of her people. :) I was so proud of her! Way to go Lila! :D She also stood up for herself even when it was difficult to do so...and I totally admired her for sticking to her beliefs.

The book was action packed with the Shadowborn army causing problems, and Lila trying to train so that she could stop them...it was intense, and the characters' problems aren't even over yet! I can without a doubt predict that there is another book...especially since Goodreads confirmed it for me. :P Still, Lila kicked serious butt in this book! I also loved that while the action was pretty intense, it wasn't all that there was. There was the whole romantic side-plot, which ventured towards a love triangle...which I wasn't such a big fan of (Liam all the way! :P), but I was a big fan of how it all turned out. Along with the romance and action, Lila and Liam were both struggling to maintain power in their courts...seriously this book just has intense struggles all over! I think that's actually the best word to describe Shadowborn: intense! It was also awesome! ;D I didn't want to put it down, and I'll admit I lost quite a bit of sleep staying up to read this one. :P 

Now that I've blabbed about the epicness that is Lila, and how awesome the story in general is, I have to tell you that the fae lore in this book is fantastic. It's elaborate, and a bit mysterious. I loved getting to know some background info on how the Unseelie and Seelie courts developed, and I'm looking forward to learning more as Lila does! Also, as a human...I must admit, these fae have some very weird ideas about relationships, which Lila struggles to accept herself. :P I'm still a tad bit confused about it all...Nix just didn't convince me I guess. :P

Overall, I really liked this one! It took me a bit to get back into the story at first, but once I got a couple chapters in, I didn't want to put it down! Shadowborn was an action-packed, intense, and struggle-filled (and by struggles...I mean all kinds of struggles) story. I'd recommend it to fans of fae, butt-kicking heroines, and to readers who are looking for paranormal stories that are a bit darker, but not quite horror-dark. Also, I absolutely cannot wait for the next book in this series, as the ending of Shadowborn has left me desperate and extremely excited for more! :D

Purchase Links:
Amazon | Barnes and Noble

So, how do you feel about fae books?
Have you heard of this series yet?
Any other comments??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are like smiles. Free to give, but precious to receive. Thank you for stopping by my blog and taking the time to comment. I treasure every one. Also, check back! You'll probably find a reply. :D